- You have maintained your legal full-time student status in the U.S.
- You will be returning to resume studies at the school and for the degree for which your I-20 was issued OR you received your EAD card for post-completion Optional Practical Training.
If you do not meet these conditions, you should check with the International Student Advisor before traveling to determine if you are eligible for reentry to the U.S. and/or if you need a new I-20/DS-2019 for a legal admission.
- Valid F-1 or J-1Visa- It does not matter if your visa expires while you are in the U.S. It is a entry document only. However, if you visa is invalid and you are outside the U.S. seeking to enter the U.S., you must apply for a new visa.
- Valid Passport. Valid for at least six months beyond the date of your expected stay.
- Evidence of financial resources.
- Evidence of student status: Copy of Registration.
- Form I-20 or DS-2019 from UNCG endorsed by the International Student Advisor for reentry
Specific note for F-1 Students: If you have had an absence of more than 5 months outside the U.S. you will need to reenter using an I-20 designated "initial attendance." In this case, your immigration "time clock" begins again as if you were entering the U.S. for the first time. No off-campus employment will be allowed until you re-accumulate the required nine months of full-time student status.
TO ASSURE YOU GET THE SIGNATURE OF THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENT ADVISOR, YOU SHOULD BRING YOUR I-20 OR DS-2019 TO THE INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS CENTER AT LEAST ONE WEEK BEFORE YOU TRAVEL! DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE OR YOU MAY HAVE TO TRAVEL WITHOUT YOUR I-20 OR DS-2019 OR POSTPONE YOUR TRAVEL PLANS!
Please review the Fall 2015 Travel Clinic information before requesting a travel signature. Thank you.