Changing Immigration Status

According to U.S. immigration law, when an individual currently in the U.S. in one non-immigrant status wishes to change to another non-immigrant status, he/she can process this change in two ways:

  • The individual can leave the United States, apply for an entry visa for the new status at a U.S. consulate abroad and reenter the U.S. with the appropriate documentation for the new status For further details, please select Instructions for an F-1 or J-1 Visa