Coming as a Visiting Scholar

Many academic departments at the University of North Carolina Greensboro have an interest in expanding the number of scholars from across the globe and work with International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) to invite visiting scholars in temporary positions, whether it is for a 3-year teaching appointment, a 1-year postdoctoral research appointment, a six month short-term research appointment or a three month visit to demonstrate a special skill.   General information and requirements for becoming a visiting scholar are listed below. 

Important Notes
  • If you are a J-1 visiting scholar who is sponsored by an external agency such as Fulbright you need only to work with the sponsoring department toward obtaining a visiting scholar in addition to submitting the Visiting Scholar DS-2019 Data Form to ISSS.  Forms such as the Insurance Attestation Form and proof of financial solvency are not required for the purposes of ISSS.

  • If you are a J-1 visiting scholar who is transferring from another U.S. institution, please coordinate with the sponsoring department and follow the normal procedures.  Because you are already in the U.S. the time necessary to complete the invitation process is typically less.
Obtaining Sponsorship at UNC-Greensboro

Prospective exchange visitors should coordinate with their sponsoring academic departments to begin the visiting scholar appointment process as well as submit the following primary items:

    • Visiting Scholar DS-2019 Data Form, Part B (Visiting Scholar Profile)
    • Curriculum Vitae (CV) or resume
    • Insurance Attestation Form
    • Copy of passport biographical page
    • Proof of financial support (e.g. institutional, government, or personal)

The J-1 program is for temporary visits to the US for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, observing, conducting research, consulting, or demonstrating special skills.  J-1 Scholars are classified as follows:

Research Scholar: An individual primarily conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. The research scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor.

Professor: An individual primarily teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. A professor may also conduct research, unless disallowed by the sponsor.

Short-Term Scholar: A professor, research scholar, specialist, or a person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the United States on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

Specialist: An individual who is an expert in a field of specialized knowledge or skill coming to the United States for observing, consulting, or demonstrating special skills.

Maximum Length of Stay
  • Research Scholar or Professor................5 years
  • Short-term Scholar................................6 months
  • Specialist..............................................1 year
Minimum Required Financial Support

Sufficient financial support* is required for a J-1 Scholar. J-2 dependents who accompany the J-1 require additional funding. The minimum amounts required are:

    • J-1 Scholar                   $1,000 per month = $12,000 per year
    • J-2 Spouse                   $500 per month = $6,000 per year
    • J-2 Child                      $500 per month = $6,000 per year per child

*Subject to periodic changes in amounts required.

Evidence of Financial Support

If the J-1 Scholar’s support is from a source other than UNCG, evidence of funding must be included with this request. If supported by personal funds, a bank statement in US$ must be provided. If supported by government or international funds, an official statement translated into English with funds converted to US$ must be provided.

Insurance Requirement

Health and accident insurance coverage is mandatory for all J-1 Scholars and their J-2 dependents while they are in the US. For further details please refer to Exchange Visitor Program Participant (J-1/J-2) Mandatory Health Coverage Requirement found here.

Visa Application and Entering the United States

After you have submitted appropriate forms and documents and received your appointment to the University, ISSS will send a DS-2019 immigration document along with instructions on applying for a J-1 visa, paying the SEVIS fee and entering the U.S.  Other fees, such as a Machine Readable Visa (MRV) surcharge and Visa Reciprocity fee, may apply at the time of visa application.

back to top of page