Students will be admitted to the United States with a valid passport and a valid F-1 or J-1. Visa stamped in the passport by a U.S. Consulate. The Visa is issued on the basis of a valid I-20 form or DS-2019 form and proof of sufficient funds.

An F-1/J-1 visa is granted by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate located outside the United States. It is important to distinguish between an F-1/J-1 Visa and F-1/J-1 Status. The F-1/J-1 visa is granted for entry purposes only. The F-1/J-1 status is granted when you enter the U.S. and is regulated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). It is important to maintain and protect your F-1/J-1 Student Status during the entire length of your stay in the United States.

Please view the Immigration Responsibilities for F-1 and J-1 Student Visa guidelines and talk with an advisor in the Office of International Student and Scholar Services if you have any questions about how to maintain your F-1 or J-1 Student Status.