Back to Training and Employment

On-campus employment can take the form of an assistantship (Teaching Assistantship/Research Assistantship/Graduate Assistantship) offered to a graduate-level student at the time of admission, or an hourly position at any university department, office, or approved third-party contracted service (U.N.C.G. bookstore, dining hall, and on-campus restaurants).

Please note: Although no specific authorization for on-campus employment is required, remember that on-campus employment is contingent on maintaining your full-time student status. For example, if you drop below full-time hours, your permission to work on-campus is immediately canceled.

If you have any questions about this program, please make an appointment to see an International Student Advisor.

General Eligibility

F-1 and J-1 degree-seeking international students (and in some cases non-degree-seeking international students) who are in good immigration standing are permitted to work on-campus at U.N.C.G.

On-campus employment eligibility ends after completion of academic program, but may continue if the student has been issued an I-20 visa document (F-1 student) to begin a new program at U.N.C.G. Qualifying on-campus employment may also continue under Optional Practical Training (O.P.T.) for eligible students.

Employment Restrictions

Federal immigration regulations limit the number of hours international students may work on campus. While the University is in session and an international student is enrolled in a full course of study, they may work up to 20 hours per week (part-time), cumulative for one or multiple positions. This is the case unless a student has been granted special approval through another type of work authorization.

During vacation periods—normally fall break, winter break, spring break and summer vacation—international students may work on-campus more than 20 hours per week (full-time) if not enrolled in coursework. Students can only work during vacation periods if they are enrolled for the following term.

International students who exceed working 20 hours per week while enrolled in coursework or who participate in off-campus employment without written permission risk violating their visa status. Potential effects of violating international student immigration status include, but are not limited to, termination of SEVIS record and the need to regain immigration status through costly and sometimes lengthy procedures.


Consult the International Student Employment Checklist for the necessary steps to begin working on campus.