J-1 Exchange Visitor Category
General Information

This visa class is available to students enrolled in a full course of study who are supported substantially by scholarships, grants and sources other than personal or family funds at a U.S. institution. The J-1 student visa may be valid for the time required to complete a degree program or up to 24 months for non-degree programs.

  • The visa may be extended upon completion of the course of study for the student to engage in academic training employment related to the field of study.
  • Employment on the student's campus may be authorized for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and 40 hours during vacation. Certain other types of employment (e.g. economic necessity employment, non-paid academic training) may be approved by the Responsible Officer of the J-1 program.
  • UNCG students should contact the Director of International Student and Scholar Services. Paid academic training, either before or after completion of studies, must be authorized by the Responsible Officer of the program before the student can engage in employment.
  • An extended visa document, DS-2019, may be necessary as well.
  • The maximum time for academic training is 18 months total or the student's period of full course of study in the U.S., whichever is less.
  • Postdoctoral students may be allowed up to 36 months for bona-fide post-doctoral research.
  • UNCG students should contact the Director of International Student and Scholar Services at UNCG to apply.

Reimbursements, honoraria, or per diem payments received as a guest lecturer, etc. may be allowed if these activities occur on the student's campus and are part of the student's authorized part-time on-campus employment OR if the student has prior written approval for academic training from the Responsible Officer of the student's exchange visitor program.

Dependents of J-1s may be admitted in J-2 status and may apply to the USCIS for permission to work. This is general work authorization for any job for which the alien qualifies.

Students will be admitted to the United States with a valid passport and a valid F-1 or J-1 Visa stamped in the passport by a U.S. Consulate. The Visa is issued on the basis of a valid I-20 or DS-2019 and proof of sufficient funds. If for some reason you plan to enter the United States with a Tourist Visa B-2, be sure to notify the Consular Office of your intentions to study at The University of North Carolina Greensboro and the extenuating circumstances that prevented you from having the required documentation. At that time your visa can include a "prospective student" statement, which will greatly facilitate your change of visa to F-1 or J-1.