Off-Campus Employment

Definition of Employment: Employment means the rendering of services on either a part-time or full-time basis for compensation, financial or otherwise, including self-employment (uncompensated activity is referred to as volunteering)

General Eligibility – International students who wish to work off-campus must always have written employment authorization.  In most cases, F-1 students must have been in full-time student status for a minimum of one full academic year (at least nine consecutive months).
                                                              J-1 Students
 J-1 international students must have a letter of approval from International Student and Scholar Services or the J-1 program sponsor prior to starting on-campus employment.  J-1 students exchange students at the University of North Carolina Greensboro need to consult the Study Abroad and Exchange Programs Office on campus.

                                                               F-1 Students

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Please refer to Current Students website for information

An eligible on-campus employed international student who works beyond 20 hours/week while the University is in session OR an off-campus employed international student who does not have written employment authorization risk violating his or her immigration status.  Potential effects of violating international student immigration status include but are not limited to termination of SEVIS record and the need to regain immigration status through costly and sometimes lengthy procedures. 

Please direct questions about the above outlined on-campus employment restrictions to International Student and Scholar Services (Contact ISSS). We wish you good luck with both your academic and employment pursuits.