On-Campus Employment
Important Information
  • General Eligibility – International students are eligible to work on-campus in University of North Carolina Greensboro divisions and departments or with “on-location commercial firms” such as Aramark dining services.  Individual tutoring is considered self-employment and is not allowed.  
  • F-1 Students – F-1 degree seeking international students
  • J-1 Students – J-1 degree seeking international students must have a letter of approval from International Student and Scholar Services or the J-1 program sponsor prior to starting on-campus employment.  J-1 exchange students at the University of North Carolina Greensboro need to consult the Study Abroad and Exchange Programs Office on campus.
  • Vacation Periods – To be eligible to work during vacation periods-normally fall, winter break, spring break and summer vacation-international students must be registered full-time for the next academic term.  Full-time employment is allowed if the international student is not enrolled in a full course study, including graduating in the summer term.
  • TA/RA Positions and Service Scholarships as On-campus Employment – TA/RA (teaching assistant and research assistant) positions and service scholarships are considered on-campus employment.  Please ensure hours are distributed appropriately and other on-campus positions are considered so no more than 20 hours per week cumulative is worked and reported while the University is in session.   
  • Multiple Positions On-campus – Total hours of on-campus employment in multiple positions can not exceed 20 hours/week while the University is in session.
  • End of On-campus Employment Eligibility – On-campus employment eligibility ends after completion of academic program, but may continue if the student has been issued an I-20 visa document (F-1 student) to begin a new program at the University of North Carolina Greensboro.  Qualifying employment on the University of North Carolina Greensboro campus may also continue under Optional Practical Training (OPT) for eligible students.
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT) – OPT, an F-1 international student employment benefit which is generally utilized after completing academic program (or after completion of coursework for those with a thesis or dissertation), needs to be conducted in the field of study as determined by the academic advisor, student and employer.

WARNING: Although no specific authorization for on-campus employment is required, remember that on-campus employment is contingent on maintaining your full-time student status. For example, if you drop below full-time hours, your permission to work on-campus is immediately canceled. If you have any questions about this program, please make an appointment to see an advisor in the International Programs Center.

back to top of page