Severe Economic Hardship
Work Authorization

As an F-1 student, you may be eligible to apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for off-campus employment due to severe economic hardship. Once authorized, this program allows you to work in any kind of job off-campus. You are limited to part-time employment (a maximum of 20 hours per week) during the fall and spring semesters. You must also maintain a full course of study during the fall and spring semesters. You can work full-time during the summer or officially recognized school breaks.
Eligible students must prove severe economic hardship due to a change circumstances beyond your control.  To qualify, you must have been lawfully enrolled as a full-time student for at least nine consecutive months. Authorization is usually granted for one year at a time. If authorized, you will receive an Employment Authorization Card from the USCIS. If you believe you qualify for severe economic hardship work authorization, please make an appointment to talk with an advisor in the Office of International Student and Scholar Services.

Be aware that there is application fee for employment authorization based on severe economic hardship and processing times for the application is two-three months.
For further information, please make an appointment to speak with the International Student Advisor at the International Programs Center.