Policies and Visa/Status Overview
img1 Info for Inviting a Visiting Scholar

Sponsoring Faculty/Department Responsibilities: Sponsoring faculty in coordination with the respective department are expected to provide workspace, arrange library and computer access, and offer cross-cultural interaction between the J-1 Scholar and the department’s faculty and staff.  The sponsoring faculty/Department also assist the visiting scholar with housing arrangements and arrival issues (The International Programs Center can provide information and resources upon request). IPC relies on departments to refer any concerns about immigration, orientation to the campus & community, insurance, or other related assistance to our office. Departments are also required to 1) notify IPC if the J-1 Scholar will not arrive within 30 days of the begin date, 2) send the J-1 Scholar to IPC immediately upon arrival at UNCG and 3) notify IPC when the J-1 Scholar completes his/her program at UNCG. 

Academic Credentials: The department must ensure that the J-1 Scholar has the appropriate academic credentials to perform the proposed activity.  A Bachelor’s degree is a minimum requirement for international visiting scholars.

English Proficiency: English proficiency for J-1 Scholars from countries where English is not the official language must be evaluated by the Department prior to submitting the J-1 Scholar Request Form.

Lead Time: Please begin the scholar invitation process 90 days prior to the intended start date of the J-1 program.  Beginning the process early is important since consular/visa security clearance may delay visa approval due to such circumstances as a name check, country of citizenship or sensitive area of research.

Categories: The J-1 program is for temporary visits to the US for the purpose of teaching, instructing or lecturing, observing, conducting research, consulting, or demonstrating special skills.  J-1 Scholars are classified by the Department of State Exchange Visitors Program as follows:

Research Scholar: An individual primarily conducting research, observing, or consulting in connection with a research project at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. The research scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor.

Professor: An individual primarily teaching, lecturing, observing, or consulting at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. A professor may also conduct research, unless disallowed by the sponsor.

Short-Term Scholar: A professor, research scholar, specialist, or a person with similar education or accomplishments coming to the United States on a short-term visit for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating special skills at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

Specialist: An individual who is an expert in a field of specialized knowledge or skill coming to the United States for observing, consulting, or demonstrating special skills.

Minimum Length of Stay:
For all categories                                3 weeks

Maximum Length of Stay:    
Research Scholar or Professor         5 years
Short-term Scholar                              6 months
Specialist                                             1 year

Two Year Home Residency Requirement 212 (e):  Certain J-1 Exchange Visitors are subject to the two-year home country physical presence requirement, Section 212(e) of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act. Those who are subject to this requirement are not eligible to change to another nonimmigrant visa status permitting employment, such as H-1B or adjust status to permanent resident, until they return to their home country for an aggregate period of two years or until they receive a waiver of the requirement.  More information about the 212(e) requirement is available from ISSS.

12 Month Bar: Anyone who has been in the US in any J status for more than six months, such as in the Specialist category, is barred from reentering the US as a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor for 12 months following the completion of his/her program or stay. This regulation does not apply to Short-term Scholars.

24 Month Bar: Anyone who has been in the US as a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor for any length of time and whose SEVIS record is no longer active is barred from reentering the US as a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor for 24 months following the completion of his/her program or stay. This only applies to those who completed programs after 11/17/2006.

Minimum Required Financial Support*: Sufficient financial support is required for a J-1 Scholar. J-2 dependents who accompany the J-1 require additional funding. The minimum amounts required are:

  • J-1 Scholar                   $1,500 per month = $18,000 per year
  • J-2 Spouse                   $   600 per month = $7,200 per year
  • J-2 Child                       $  600 per month = $7,200 per year per child

*Subject to periodic changes in amounts required.

Evidence of Financial Support: If the J-1 Scholar’s support is from a source other than UNCG, evidence of funding must be included with this request. If supported by personal funds, a bank statement in US$ must be provided. If supported by government or international funds, an official statement translated into English with funds converted to US$ must be provided.

Insurance Requirement: Health and accident insurance coverage is mandatory for all J-1 Scholars and their J-2 dependents while they are in the US. For further details please refer to Exchange Visitor Program Participant (J-1/J-2) Mandatory Health Coverage Requirement found here.

Special Circumstances

  • Visiting Scholar Whose DS-2019 Visa Documents are Issued and  Sponsored by an External Agency – Occasionally, a visiting scholar you invite to UNCG will be sponsored by an external agency such as Fulbright (administered by CIEE), in which case the DS-2019 document is not issued by ISSS.  In this case, only steps toward obtaining an appointment from the Provost’s Office (e.g. Dean’s letter, PD-7 form, etc.) are required as well as submission of Parts A and B of Visiting Scholar DS-2019 Data Form to ISSS.  Forms such as the Insurance Attestation Form and proof of financial solvency are not required for the purposes of ISSS.
  • Visiting Scholar Transferring from Another U.S. Institution – If the visiting scholar will be transferring from another higher education institution in the U.S., please follow the normal instructions in this packet and provide additional information on the Visiting Scholar DS-2019 Data Form regarding the visiting scholar’s position at the other institution.  Because the individual is already in the U.S., the time necessary to complete the invitation process is typically less.
  • Visiting Scholar Transferring to Another U.S. Institution – Should your visiting scholar wish to transfer from UNCG to another institution of higher education in the U.S., please have him or her contact the International Programs Center at least one month prior to the intended transfer.
  • Extension of UNCG Program – If your visiting scholar has the opportunity to extend his or her stay in your department, please request the extension of appointment from the Provost’s Office through your Dean.  Have the international visiting scholar contact the International Programs Center at least one month in advance to the end of his or her current program.
  • Adding Dependents After Arrival– If your visiting scholar would like to bring his or her dependents to UNCG after his or her arrival, please have the international visiting scholar visit ISSS at the International Programs Center.
  • Change of Status from J-1 International Visiting Scholar - If your visiting scholar wishes to change his or her status from J-1, please have him or her contact ISSS at the International Programs Center.