IPC welcomes suggestions from UNCG faculty and staff about new collaborations with appropriately accredited international universities. Key potential pursuits in our standard agreements often include student, academic and administrative staff exchanges, joint research activities, and exchanges of academic material. If you have connections to an international university (either as an alumnus or through faculty research collaboration), please contact Dr. Maria Anastasiou at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss a potential mutually beneficial partnership for our institutions.
Here is what the process of creating a new international partnership typically looks like:
- Initial vetting and general partnership discussions.
- Universities agree to develop a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). IPC works with partner school to develop official MOU language. Heavily modified MOUs may undergo additional review by legal counsel at either UNCG or the partner school.
- Agreements are signed by both parties.
If desired, the universities may then negotiate a student exchange agreement. This process may take several months (at minimum) and typically unfolds after thorough vetting, reciprocal site visits, and the creation of an agreement. Vetting includes, but is not limited to, an exploration of academic fit, student support services, housing and meal options, health, safety and security, onsite orientation details, cultural immersion, internship and service learning opportunities. Both parties then proceed to create and sign an agreement regarding the following key components:
- Duration of exchanges
- Number of students to be exchanged
- Student program fees/benefits at host institution
- Vacation periods
- Student eligibility
- Balancing the exchange
- Academic status of students
- Exchange coordinator
- Effective date and termination of agreement
- Nondiscrimination and disability laws
IPC works with the partner school to develop official language. Heavily modified agreements may undergo additional review by legal counsel at either UNCG or the partner school.