Thank you for your interest in participating in a study abroad exchange program here at UNC Greensboro!

UNC Greensboro has more than 100 exchange partners. Please click here to find out if your home school is one of our partner universities. IPC offers one-semester or full-year exchange programs for incoming exchange students. Study abroad opportunities are available at all levels and in over 100 disciplines. Please review the information below to learn more about the exchange experience at UNC Greensboro for international students. And be sure to check out our “UNCG Survival Guide!” It contains answers to questions frequently asked by incoming exchange students.

To learn more, consider visiting our pages on Life at UNCG and discover how you can Get Involved at UNCG while on exchange!

Please review the UNCG Fact Sheet for more detailed information regarding preparation for your exchange experience.

Application Process and Requirements

This information is specific to students who plan to attend UNC Greensboro for a semester or a year as an international exchange student. To attend as an exchange student, a formal bilateral or multilateral student exchange agreement must be on file with both UNC Greensboro and a student’s home institution. Students should check with the exchange coordinator in their home university’s international office to ask about the exchange program and nomination process.

Once nominated and selected, you will receive instructions from our Incoming Exchange Coordinator on how to proceed.

English Proficiency

Check with your home institution to verify the specific requirements needed for attending UNC Greensboro as an exchange student. Please see below for the minimum English proficiency requirements:

T.O.E.F.L.: P.B.T.: 550; C.B.T.: 213; I.B.T.: 80; I.T.P.: 550

I.E.L.T.S.: 6.0 for undergraduate students; 6.5 for graduate students.

Pre-Arrival and Orientation

Orientation is mandatory and happens during the week before classes at UNCG begin. Get a sneak peek of what will be happening during that week by clicking here!
This Survival Guide is full of advice and helpful tips left from previous exchange students! Please use this as you think about packing and preparing for your exchange experience at UNCG!
Most exchange students in Greensboro choose to live on-campus due to its tremendous convenience, diversity of accommodations, and general value. Tower Village (home of our International House) is the most popular housing choice among exchange students, as these more European-style accommodations include single rooms and a shared kitchen/bathroom. For a more American experience, Phillip-Hawkins is a popular choice. More detailed housing options and information can be found at UNCG’s Housing and Residence Life website.
Once you are accepted into the exchange experience, you will be given instructions on how to apply for the J-1 visa.
You are required to have medical insurance in effect for the duration of your program. Your acceptance packet will contain detailed information about waiving and enrolling. Visit our student health center for more information. U.S. Government regulations require international students to have sufficient medical insurance coverage to participate on an exchange to the United States. UNCG international exchange students are required to have health insurance. Students may purchase the UNCG health insurance plan OR submit proof of their own non-UNCG health insurance that satisfies the U.S. Department of State requirements outlined below:
  • Benefit maximum must be no less than $100,000 per accident or illness
  • The plan deductible may not exceed $500 per accident or illness per plan year
  • Minimum of $50,000 for medical evacuation
  • Minimum of $25,000 for repatriation
Note: All students will receive detailed information on how to purchase or waive the UNCG health insurance plan once accepted into the exchange program.

If you have existing health insurance that meets the above requirements and would like to request a verification of your current policy and waiver of the BCBS Student Blue health insurance, follow the steps below:

  1. Visit BCBS Student Blue health insurance to view instructions and deadlines for submission of a medical insurance waiver. Submit all required documents, including a copy of your current health insurance membership card/letter and policy, including full details of the benefits and exclusions of your policy.
  2. Now, you must wait to receive a notification by email informing you whether BCBS has approved, denied or assigned you a pending status regarding the waiver.
  3. If you are wishing to enroll into BCBS, please visit BCBS Student Blue health insurance to view instructions and deadlines for submission.

Registration and Enrollment

More information is available in the Survival Guide. Specific instructions will be sent after being admitted into the exchange program.

Visa and Status Maintenance

Maintaining your status is very important! The Incoming Exchange Coordinator will work hard to keep you in status. More information is available in the Survival Guide.

Training and Employment

Did you know that as a J-1 visa holder, you are eligible for on-campus employment and internship opportunities (both on- and off-campus)?

On-campus employment
You can visit the UNCG Career Center to see student job postings. It’s better to do this before you’ve arrived, as on-campus jobs go very quickly. You are able to work a maximum of 20 hours per week during your exchange experience. Once you’ve received the employment letter, you must meet with Incoming Exchange Coordinator to get more information for visa compliance.

Internships both on- and off-campus (Academic Training)
If you are interested in doing either Academic Training (paid or unpaid), or obtaining employment while on your exchange experience, you will need to stop by IPC and speak with the Incoming Exchange Coordinator. After your meeting, you will have detailed information and steps to start the process.

For more information on Academic Training, please see our Survival Guide.


You are free to travel outside of the United States during holidays and University breaks; however, you must meet with the Incoming Exchange Coordinator to fill out paperwork before you leave. This paperwork will allow you to re-enter the US after your travels with no issues.