Rhodes Scholarship

First awarded in 1902, the Rhodes is perhaps the oldest and most prestigious competitive fellowship in the world, funding future leaders’ graduate study at the University of Oxford. Thirty-two US scholars and 67 global scholars are selected each year based upon their intellect, character, and commitment to leadership through service. 

Ms. Christelle Barakat, a graduate student in Peace and Conflict Studies, was selected as a finalist for the Rhodes for the Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine (SJLP) region. Originally from Lebanon, Barakat is currently pursuing her degree at UNCG with the help of a Fulbright Award, another prestigious international scholarship. 

“I decided to apply for Rhodes mainly because of the community of scholars within it, the scholarship’s focus on leadership development, and the criteria of the scholarship which deeply resonated with me. I felt honored to be selected as a finalist.” Hundreds of applicants competed for two Rhodes SJLP scholarships, and Barakat was one of just 11 applicants chosen to interview as a finalist, a major accomplishment.

After she finishes her degree at UNCG, she hopes to go on to get a second masters in Development Studies and ultimately a PhD. Barakat wants to be involved in both the theoretical and the practical aspects of the field, hoping to teach and work with an international organization such as the UN. “I love teaching and transmitting my skills and knowledge to others and I think that research can impact policy and lead to better implementation.”